Flipkiss - A game about love
Challenge: The idea was to create a small but different kind of matching game. Approach: Cuteness, a lovely story and an innovative matching game design. Contribution: Executive Producer & Game Designer Year: 2014 - Present
With a team of five I invented a small but cute matching game. This post is a quick overview of the project with some visual impressions. The game will be launched in Q4 of 2017.
Our team was composed of:
- 1 × iOS engineer (Germany)
- 1 × Illustrator (UK)
- 1 × Sound Designer (France)
- 1 × Music Composer (France)
- 1 × me (Germany, US)
Initial Idea & First Designs
The idea started in 2014 while I was having a shower and looking at the tiles in the bathroom.
“If I would turn one tile I could match two that have a similair mark and make them disappear… The match is a kiss… I flipped the tile… the game will be called Flipkiss!”
That’s pretty much what happened in my head. I immediately grabbed some Post-Its and Sharpies and created the first paper prototype.
Flipkiss Paper Prototype
It looked like I was onto something. So I went straight to Sketch and came up with a first design.
Early Designs for Flipkiss
The idea and the designs were just the start for a journey that turned out to be longer than I thought it would be. Here are only some of the challenges that this project had to face:
- the team had to be assembled
- the story had to be created
- the matching mechanism had to be refined
- the game design needed a lot of work
- the illustration style had to be figured out
- the animations had to be created
- the sounds and the music had to be composed
- the way of publishing had to be figured out
Here is a short video that shows the progress of the game:
Here’s an overview and a couple of visual impressions of how the game looks like now.
Launch in Q4 2017
We’re planing to launch the game in Q4 2017. After that I will make a longer post about the whole process.